Bring this to your appointment with your surgeon. Review these questions beforehand and highlight the ones you want to ask your surgeon.
- What are all my surgical and non-surgical options?
- What are the benefits and risks of each option?
- Am I a candidate for minimally invasive robotic-assisted surgery? How is it done?
- How many procedures like mine do you do each month? How many are minimally invasive surgery?
- How long do you expect my hospital stay and full recovery to be?
- What is the success rate and long-term outcomes?
- How much is this going to cost me? Will insurance cover it?
- Will I need to take time off from work or other activities?
- What type of incisions/scars should I expect?
- How do I prepare for surgery?
- Where can I get a second opinion?
DAY OF SURGERY
- What are the series of events today?
- What are my anesthesia options?
- What should I expect immediately following surgery?
- How soon can I get my pathology report after surgery?
- What symptoms and feelings are considered normal after surgery?
- How soon can I go home and return to my normal activities (e.g. driving, exercising, working, yard work, picking up my kids)?
- What can I and can’t I do?
- What are my chances of recurrence?
- What are my next steps and follow up?
Procedure Specific Questions to Ask Your Surgeon
COLON OR RECTAL SURGERY
- What is the chance that I will need a permanent colostomy bag?
- What should my diet be after surgery?
- How will it feel to have a bowel movement for the first time after surgery?
- How often will I need a colonoscopy after surgery?
- (If applied) What should I do with my colostomy bag?
HERNIA REPAIR SURGERY
- How will the hernia be repaired?
- Will you be able to perform a primary repair (sewing the muscle tissue back together)?
- Could you avoid using tacks during the repair to reduce pain after the surgery?
- What is the chance of me having a hernia again?
- What will be removed (e.g. uterus, ovaries, tubes, cervix)?
- What is the chance of me experiencing hot flashes?
- Will I need to consider hormone therapy?
- What are the restrictions for sexual activity after surgery?
PROSTATE CANCER SURGERY (PROSTATECTOMY)
- How advanced is my prostate cancer?
- Is it likely that my cancer will spread?
- How soon will the catheter be removed after the surgery?
- How soon will my bladder control and sexual function return?
HIP AND KNEE REPLACEMENT SURGERY
- What are the benefits and potential risks involved with total hip/partial knee replacement surgery?
- How long does it typically take to recover from surgery?
- Is osteoarthritis a factor in my hip/knee pain?
- Will reducing activity, taking pain or prescription medication, or adding physical therapy help ease my pain?
- Could a total hip/partial knee replacement help provide me with relief from my pain?
- Am I a candidate for Mako robotic-arm assisted surgery?